Addressing Homelessness: Reducing-Preventing-Ending
- 08:30 - 16:15
- The Studio, Manchester
Ivan was elected to Parliament in 1997 at the age of 30 and represents the constituency where he has lived all his life. He was re-elected in 2001, 2005, 2010. Prior to becoming an MP he was Chief Executive of two voluntary organisations, Contact Community Care Group and the Manchester Jewish Federation, for a total of eleven years and served as a Bury Councillor for eight years.
In October 2010 Ivan was elected to Labour’s Shadow Cabinet and served as Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. In October 2011 Ed Miliband appointed him Shadow Secretary of State for International Development, and in October 2013 Ed Miliband appointed him Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.
During Labour’s period in Government Ivan served as a Minister in five Government Departments between 2001 and 2010: 2001- 2005 Minister for Skills, 2005 - 2006 Economic Secretary to the Treasury, 2006 – 2008 Minister for Care Services, 2008 – 2009 Minister for Africa (DfID), 2009 – 2010 Minister for Middle East (FCO).
During the 2015-17 Parliament Ivan served as a member of the International Development Select Committee.
Ivan is currently a Co-Chair of the Greater Manchester Mayor’s Homelessness Action Network, working to eradicate rough sleeping in Grater Manchester.
• Ivan provides a full time information, advice and advocacy service from his constituency office. He holds regular surgeries and provides community leadership on a range of local issues.
• As Skills Minister lead responsibility for developing the Modern Apprenticeship System and expanding the Skills for Life initiative which focused on improving the basic skills of millions of adults unable to read or write to the level of an average 11 year old.
• At the Treasury oversaw the introduction of the Child Trust Fund and laid the foundations for the creation of the Office of the Third Sector.
• At Health published the first ever National Dementia Strategy and committed to taking Dementia out of the shadows. Pioneered an NHS Campaign focused on treating older patients with dignity. Introduced new national strategies for carers and people with learning disabilities. Developed the ground breaking Putting People First reform agenda for social care focused on personal budgets, integration of health and social care and prevention.
• At DfID led a global campaign to ensure maternal health was given new priority status and was responsible for renewing UK Development Policy in conflict and fragile states.
• At the Foreign Office lead responsibility for UK relations in the Middle East and with China. He was also responsible for UK counter terrorism and counter proliferation policy.
• At the 2015 General Election Ivan was Coordinator of Labour’s Young Voter Campaign.