Professor Henrietta Bowden-Jones OBE is a medical doctor and neuroscience researcher working as Consultant psychiatrist in Addictions leading two national clinics in the UK. She was appointed Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire ( OBE) in the 2019 New Year’s Honours for Services to Addiction Treatment and to Research.
Henrietta has a special interest in the interface between SCIENCE and ART and has been the medical advisor to actors (Soho Theatre), playwrights, directors (Royal Court) and film makers as well as doing post performance Q and A sessions (Almeida, Soho Theatre and Cockpit Theatre).
Dr Bowden-Jones holds a number of distinctions, including:
- Honorary Senior Visiting Research Fellow in Psychiatry, Cambridge University.
- Immediate Past President, Medical Women’s Federation.
- Royal College of Psychiatrists’ Spokesperson on Behavioural Addictions.
- Honorary Professor, UCL, Faculty of Brain Sciences.
- Psychiatry President, Royal Society of Medicine (2020-2022)
- Psychiatrist of the Year 2020 Award. Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Founder and Director of the National Problem Gambling Clinic, the first NHS treatment centre in the UK for the treatment of problem gamblers which she set up in 2008.
- Founder and Director of the National Centre for Gaming Disorders, the first NHS clinic in the UK treating Gaming Disorder.
- Regular expert advisor to both Westminster and the House of Lords on matters pertaining to gambling disorder, gaming disorder and mental health.
- Recipient of many national and international prizes and awards.
- As well as graduating in Medicine and specialising in Psychiatry with a CCST in Addiction Psychiatry, Henrietta also pursued a research career and a Medical Doctorate in Neuroscience from Imperial College (Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex impairment in Alcohol Dependency)
- Founder and joint Chair of the National UK Research Network for Behavioural Addictions ( NUK-BA) based at Cambridge University and comprising of several researchers from leading universities.
- Executive Board member of the International Society for the Study of Behavioural Addiction (ISSBA)
- She has published several books and has an extensive publication list in a whole range of peer reviewed journals.
To view research and books www.henriettabowdenjones.com/publications/
Follow her on twitter @HBowdenJonesOBE